Thursday, September 03, 2009

All of the Poor People Should Just Die


I don't like it that participants in the current Medicare Part B program can get free flu vaccines. I just saw that, on a sign at the grocery store. I don't want to have my tax dollars going to people who don't work as hard as I do. Why should I have to pay for other peoples' bad choices? It's not my problem that people didn't work hard like I did, and like my family did. It's not my problem that they don't have health insurance like I do. I work for a good, solid corporation. We were a plum account for our insurance company. We work hard, so the insurance company negotiates discounted rates with our doctors and hospitals.

If poor people can't afford to pay for their own vaccine, then let them get the flu. But if their kids get the flu, they shouldn't send them to school. They should stay home with them. And if they have to miss work to take care of their kids, they can just lose their jobs. And if their employers have to scramble because their employees have to stay home instead of coming to work, they'll get over it. And if their landlords have to evict them, they will find someone else to move in. If the landlord has to foreclose on the property, someone else who works hard will buy it. Eventually, the housing market will recover.

America is a great country because you can see what you're made of. You can pull yourself up by your bootstraps. That's what I do. Pull myself up by my bootstraps and make good choices. I was once a sperm and an egg, and I made the good choice to get myself together, to grow, and to be born. Then, I made the good choice to grow up in a good home and go to good schools and live in a house with people who had health insurance.

I don't want to have to pay for health care for poor people because it's too expensive, and I work hard. I am in the top tax bracket, and folks like me are the ones who pay for these programs, not the vast majority of people who don't work hard and don't make good choices. If my taxes go up, I might not be able to pull myself up by my bootstraps. If small businesses have to pay for their employees' coverage, then there goes the fabric of this country, entrepreneurship. Let them scramble when their employees are sick, or when their own kids get the flu from those other kids whose parents don't have the good sense to keep them home from school.

Government can't do everything! All I want is to preserve the fabric of this country, what has made us the envy of the world. And that's the ability to make your destiny, if you work hard. I don't want to live in the former Soviet Union. It's a slippery slope. If you start paying for the health care of people who don't work hard, you're just a few steps away from communism, despite the fact that the former Soviet Union was not a representative democracy with term limits, and despite the fact that that country began with a violent overthrow of the czarist system. Still, it's a slippery slope.

Doctors work hard. And hospitals work hard. If poor people can't pay their bills, that's not the problem of doctors or hospitals. They should just refuse to treat them. And then, maybe the poor people will all either die or go away. Or maybe go to college to get a better job.

I don't want to have to pay for prisons, either. I'd rather save up my money for a 15 foot high fence with an alarm system around my house. I'd rather move to a part of town where there aren't any poor people. I agree that health care is a problem, but it's not my problem.

4 comments:

Eric Russell said...

What happened to your heart? Do you have any amount of sympathy for the poor, or do you really hope that they all just die?

Tricia Mitchell said...

Hi Eric!

My heart is just fine! This post was satire. check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satire.

"The purpose of satire is not primarily humour in itself so much as an attack on something of which the author strongly disapproves, using the weapon of wit."

I was *imitating* a right-winger, specifically one who is basing his/her views on emotion but can't just come out and say it. Thus, the logic doesn't add up, like saying "in America you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps," but then complaining that if the government makes health care more accessible, they will not be able to pull themselves up.

Thanks for reading my blog, and sorry to confuse you! Would you like me to mail you a free CD as compensation?

Anonymous said...

this really makes a lot of sense, satire or not.

if you are poor, can't get a job, of no use to society, why should anybody help you survive? as just said, you are of no use, so your dying is a benefit to the rest of society that still has a niche.

that is nature, and that is what improves the stock.

Tricia Mitchell said...

Dear Anonymous,

I would argue that very few people actually meet the "of no use" definition you describe. Lot of folks who can't afford health insurance contribute to society.

Having health care is basic to a lot of other abilities, and the lack of access impacts, and impairs, families and communities. How on Earth can a child be expected to go to school and really be available to learn if he/she is preoccupied with a family member at home with unaddressed health issues?

Plus, not spending money on small health issues becomes spending money on big ones. Even those of us who have coverage pay more--in premiums and in the costs of care--because so many people get help only when they're forced to.

So I guess you could say you and I disagree about the "value" of people.

Thanks for reading my blog!

Your friend,
Tricia