Someday I'm going to do a study to test a theory of mine: It's impossible to be in a bad mood while you're shaking your butt. I will examine the precise mechanism of this phenomena of brain, spine, sacrum, and endorphins, and my study will lead millions to toss their Zoloft and pump up the jams instead.
But I don't have time for any of that right now.
Instead, real quick, I need to tell all the Austin mamas who read my blog about a gathering called Mamadance! It takes place every other Wednesday evening, from 8-9 pm, at Empower Yoga, 1611 W. 5th St., 78703. There is a $12 charge. Leave your kids at home. Or somewhere. Don't bring your kids.
You need to come and dance with us. Why?
1. Because it's fun.
2. Because it's just for you.
3. Because something about moving, and not talking, and not fetching glasses of milk or juice for people, puts you in touch with yourself. You will find yourself moving through your "stuff" and emerging as a nicer and lighter human being.
4. Because at Mamadance, no one will tell you what to do. Do you want to waltz? Or polka? Fine. Want to do Sun Salutations for an hour? Okeydokey! Do you want to experiment with mixing Zumba with making rock 'n roll faces like Steve Tyler of Aerosmith? Great. Do you want to just lay on the floor without any small people climbing on you, and have the rare experience of finishing a thought? Good for you! Are you an arrhythmic, uncoordinated, or "bad" dancer? Have two (or more) left feet? Bring it on. No one will care, judge, or mess with you.
5. Because you don't get to experience this kind of freedom in your day-to-day life as a mother. Or even just as a person. I promise.
6. Once you get hooked, you can take a turn making the play list. It starts slow and builds. You might include "Sing! Sing! Sing!," followed by the theme from "Brian's Song." Or whatever. You never know.
Mamadance happens this Wednesday, 8/24. In September, it will be on the 7th and the 21st. Every other Wednesday. Please come. Bring a friend. Shake your thang. Thank me later.